Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Media Relations Manager
at Alzheimer's Association
Be part of the movement to end Alzheimer’s!
Right now, millions of Americans are facing the devastation of Alzheimer’s. This disease is robbing us of our finances, our families and our futures - but at the Alzheimer’s Association, we’re relentlessly working to change that by addressing the challenges in front of us with speed and without limitations or boundaries. With our network of more than 75 chapters across the country, we’re advancing world-class research, ensuring access to gold-standard care and support, and hiring talented, mission-driven people who make it all happen.
The Alzheimer’s Association has been ranked as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times nine years in a row, recognizing our leadership, competitive compensation and benefits, flexibility and mission-driven atmosphere. It takes a uniquely motivated person to be a part of our team - but we believe that person could be you!
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Media Relations Manager leads the Communications team that provides public relations and media relations for major events, educational programs and general public awareness for the two-state Chapter. This role is critical to maximizing earned media impression, a key public awareness metric for the Association with the assistance of a direct report, the Communications Associate. In addition, this Manager supervises publications production, managing updates and production schedules as well as liaising with departments and coordinating special Communications Department projects. Occasional weekend and evening work is required, as is the ability to travel in the region and throughout Chapter.
Core Job Responsibilities
· Lead the maximizing of earned media impressions via public relations initiatives to promote educational programs and Chapter activities, including:
o Creating content for immediate and long-lead press releases
o Assisting staff with regional media requests
· Manage public relations for promotion of key events, including Walk to End Alzheimer’s, RIDE to End Alzheimer’s, The Longest Day, including:
o Seeking and implementing opportunities for coverage of events
o Creation of social media campaigns to support events, including the development of content for these campaigns
· Create content for new platforms of marketing including:
o Blog featuring various aspects of Association and the constituents and families we work alongside
o Exploring a podcast
o Social Media content including original videos and campaigns
· Lead project management of Association deliverables including:
o The Annual Report
o Reason to Hope Video
o Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month campaigns, initiatives, and events
o Oversee photography for Association events
o Oversee various smaller campaigns: AlzTalks promotion, Spring Research promotion,creation of new Association events, non-profit marketing events, and new cross departmental events
· Build media Relationships through:
o Cultivating relationships with media through quarterly media tours to update them on new stories and pipeline agenda items and also arranging Association colleagues to accompany these visits as appropriate
o Creating new public relation stories by recognizing and/or creating of potential events or stories that would garner widespread pick up in the media
o Engaging in advertising campaign negotiations to establish relationships with news outlets
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, journalism, public relations or a related disciplined preferred
- Three years’ experience promoting caused focused programs
Key Professional Attributes
· Superior self-management skills, as independent initiative and ability to collaborate are essential
· Sound decision making skills, reflecting effective establishing of priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Strong project management skills with the ability to plan, implement and assess a course of action and delivery of results
· Deadline driven, incorporating effective planning and time management strategies that support collaborative delivery of results
· Highly collaborative and team focused, as much of the delivery of results requires influencing other without "reporting -authority"
· Effective verbal and written communication skills, reflecting an understanding of the appropriate use of communication technologies and an appreciation that each audience requires its own approach
· Appreciation of cultural and ethnic diversity, especially with respect to outreach to underserved communities
Competitive Salary and Benefits provided