City of Springfield, Massachusetts
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sheet Metal Worker
at City of Springfield, Massachusetts
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1619795
Overall Job Objective
- Position Purpose/Summary
- *Please note that this is a Civil Service position. This position is not currently open, should there become an opening we will hire off of the list of applicants starting with the oldest application date.*
APPLICATION FOR CITY OF SPRINGFIELD LABOR SERVICE
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of filing application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The name of an applicant will remain on the Labor Service register for the job title which he or she is registered for a period of not more than 5 years from the date of registration, subject to a renewal of registration as provided in Section 28, Chapter 31 of the General Laws, and subject to compliance with other applicable provisions of the Civil Service law and rules.
Responsible for the application of journeyman skills and knowledge in fabricating, installing and repairing municipal sheet metal equipment and articles and in laying and repairing roofs of municipal buildings. Work is performed under general supervision is accordance with municipal building cods and standard trade practices with review through inspection during process and upon completion. Work instructions may be oral or written and are accompanied by sketches or drawings when necessary. No supervision is exercised over other employees.
- Essential Functions
- Studies drawings and specifications. Installs, assembles, repairs, maintains sheet metal components of hot air heating, ventilating, exhaust, and blow pipe systems.
- Fabricates, assembles, installs, alters and repairs metal structures, equipment, and articles such as lavatory walls and partitions, fire doors, shelves, lockers, cabinets, tanks, boxes, fences, grills, grates, louvers; repairs radiators, smoke stacks, fire escapes, and elevator sidings, cables and gates.
- Fabricates, installs, and repairs sheet metal roofs, gutters, leaders, cornices, copies, skylights, flashing, and other roof brakes to bend metal, and mallets, soldering tools, and other hand tools to lay the roof.
- Lays and repairs slate roofs by covering sheathing with roofing felt and aligning slate, punching holes in slate for nailing to sheathing, fitting slate to ridges, valleys, and edges, and nailing metal flashing at angles of intersection.
- Lays and repairs asphalt, tar, and gravel roofs by applying alternate layers of hot tar and asphalt and a surface layer of gravel.
- Lays and repairs all kinds of commercial compositions for surfacing roofs by cutting composition to fit corners, pipes, and other objects, and nailing or cementing composition to roof base and flashing to side walls.
- Supervises a helper engaged in semiskilled and manual tasks related to the trade.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of standard practices, materials, tools, equipment, processes and techniques on the sheet metal work trade.
- Considerable knowledge of pertinent sections of the municipal building codes.
- Ability to work from written and oral instructions, sketches and drawings.
- Skill in the use of tools, equipment, and materials of the trade.