City of Springfield, Massachusetts
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Skating Rink Maintenance Man
at City of Springfield, Massachusetts
- Position Purpose/Summary
*Please note that this is a Civil Service position. This position is not currently open, should there become an opening we will hire off of the list of applicants starting with the oldest application date.*
APPLICATION FOR CITY OF SPRINGFIELD LABOR SERVICE
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of filing application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The name of an applicant will remain on the Labor Service register for the job title which he or she is registered for a period of not more than 5 years from the date of registration, subject to a renewal of registration as provided in Section 28, Chapter 31 of the General Laws, and subject to compliance with other applicable provisions of the Civil Service law and rules.
Responsible for the performance of manual labor tasks of a specialized nature requiring the application of skills and knowledge ordinarily acquired on the job, as well as the exercise of considerable physical strength and endurance. Work is performed under supervision of an employee of higher grade who assigns work, maintains production, and provides supervisory advice and assistance. Supervision may be exercised over other employees.
- Essential Functions
- Performs a variety of skilled tasks in constructing, repairing, and maintaining skating rink facilities, tennis courts, swimming pools, and related buildings and structures.
- Assists in painting, carpentry, plumbing, masonry, sheet metal work, steamfitting, and other trades.
- Maintains restrooms, replaces lights, and performs janitorial duties.
- Operates Zamboni ice resurfacing machine in a skating rink during assigned shifts to prepare ice surfaces for skating.
- Enforces rules of rink, maintains security of building during youth activities.
- Oversees on occasion monies collected with responsibility for night deposits.
- Monitors ice-making equipment, gauges proper temperatures; secures protective barriers; performs other related manual duties assigned necessary to efficient ice skating operations.
- Oversees skating area during public skating sessions.
- Repairs damaged boards, broken seats of benches, ice surfaces, and related structures in the skating rink.
- Repairs and maintains tennis courts and swimming pools, and performs other laboring duties during the skating rink off season.
- Supervises on occasion skate guards and part-time employees.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the use of tools, equipment, and materials commonly employed in work performed.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions involved in work performed.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Working knowledge in the operation of a Zamboni ice resurfacing machine.
- Working knowledge of the operation of a skating rink facility, skating rink, swimming pool, and tennis court structures and their maintenance.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public.
- Ability to supervise the work of other employees.
- Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience of at least one year in a skating rink.