Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Consultant Big Data Engineer
Aboutthe Job: There's never been a more exciting timeto be on the Enterprise Data & Analytics team at Staples! Staples is on an exciting journey tomodernize the data landscape, consolidate data assets, and build a brand newData Lake & Data Warehouse. If youare someone who enjoys Big Data, data analytics, and designing innovativeanalytical solutions in a fast-paced work environment, this job may be for you!This role will be responsible for defining, modernizing, supporting, andevangelizing our Hortonworks implementation across the enterprise. You willwork collaboratively, in a consultative way, across the business units,supporting and mentoring their engineering teams, advising on best approachesto leveraging Big Data in the most effective and efficient manner. The team isseeking top notch talent in Hadoop, Azure, Data Science, and modern data tools. If you are interested in using your expertiseand innovative skills to build something brand new, enjoy making architecturaldecisions, are a resourceful technologist who likes to wear many hats, consideryourself an ‘A' player, have a passion for data, and like to mentor others,then we want to talk to you! A fantasticopportunity awaits you!
- Enhance, build and support our on-premise Big Data platform
- Engage with business partners across the company to understand their analytical needs regarding Big Data and Data science
- Defining, evangelizing and supporting technology and business partners who use the platform
- Act as a consultant/advisor in terms of translating business requirements into technical solutions and recommend tools and processes to be used to accomplish the business needs
- Ensure that the team develops and maintains repeatable, systemic processes that continue to make the team more efficient.
- Work with business partners to identify areas where we can use technology to make business processes more efficient.
- Assist in prioritization of projects to ensure overall business objectives and ROI
- Motivate, coach, and serve as a role model and mentor for other development team associates/members that leverage the platform
- Establish standards for access, meta data definition, ELT processes, and downstream data feeds
- Assist in the building of a Lambda Architecture, to increase speed and flexibility for downstream analytics
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, and minimum 8 years of relevant work experience
- Minimum 3 years of Big Data and Big Data tools with one or more of the following: Hadoop, Sqoop, Hive, Kafka, Spark, Pyspark, Python, or Pig Minimum 3 years of database skills with one or more of the following: SQL Server, Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Netezza
- Minimum 2 years of leading technology engineering teams with a strong track record of execution and mentoring of your peers.
- Minimum 2 years of analytical, systems and project management experience
- Minimum 1 year Scala development experience
- Experience with Cloud services in AWS or Azure (preferable)
- Experience operationalizing advanced analytics models
- Experience with defining an efficient engagement model for data scientists and power users of Big Data systems
- Proven experience with designing dimensional data models
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and ability to present complex technical/analytical concepts to executive audience
- Experience leveraging data lifecycle methodologies and Business Intelligence best practices to drive high quality solutions.
- Strong business mindset with ability to collaborate with business partners to identify needs and opportunities for improved data management and delivery.
- Demonstrated passion for advanced data analysis, strong experience with relational databases, SQL, and proficiency using analytic tools to answer business questions
- Ability to work independently with business partners and management to understand their needs and exceed expectations in delivering tools/solutions
- Demonstrated ability to balance the demands of multiple projects and multiple roles depending on size/type of project
- Master's Degree Excellent planning, prioritization, problem solving skills.
- Experience with Predictive Analytics
- Experience with Hortonworks implementation