Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Food Safety, Quality & Regulatory
- Research and Development
- Concord, MA, USA
- Full Time
When people think of Welch's, they think of our great tasting juice and jelly and a trusted, iconic brand. People also think we are a big company. We are not. We are a co-operative, owned by the family farmers who grow our delicious and nutritious grapes. Our work allows our farmers to maintain an agricultural way of life, send their children to college, and hand their farm down to the next generation as was done for almost 150 years.
At Welch's you will find people who are genuine and talented, and a collaborative community. We think like farmers, we are agile, we are resilient, and we are passionate about our grapes and our brand. We are real and honest people with a shared purpose. In addition, we are building a team that is playing to win and daring to try new things.
We are looking for a Director of Food Safety, Quality & Regulatory to join our team to oversee and ensure continuous improvement of the Food Safety & Quality Assurance programs to assure products are safe and processed in a sanitary environment. This role also assures the Regulatory compliance of our products.
What You'll Do:
- Establish, enhance, and maintain the Quality and Food Safety programs for internal and external manufacturing, distribution, and storage locations.
- Interpret the food safety/regulatory environment to develop solutions that balance cost and risk and make the right business sense for the company.
- Establish clear goals/ objectives for FSQA team in alignment with corporate initiatives to enhance food safety, quality assurance systems and customer/consumer satisfaction.
- Assure ongoing Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification of all Welch's plants, as well as oversee raw material suppliers, contract manufacturing and warehousing partners in food safety and quality system qualification, quality performance (metrics and trends), and problem solving (consumer complaints, customer feedback, finished product results, ingredient issues, and product and processing specifications to enhance and/or correct processes).
- Develop and implement food safety and quality policies and procedures as necessary to assure compliance to regulatory standards and alignment with industry best practices, and provide technical support for food safety and quality training at manufacturing sites as well as the development of technical training (e.g. HACCP/FSMA, Microbiological, Allergen Control, Sanitation, and SQF) as required.
- Oversee the formulation and labelling compliance of Welch's products and packages and Welch's Health and Nutrition Research.
- Manage analytical chemistry, technical services and formula/specification system administration.
Who You Are:
- An expert in Juice HACCP, GFSI certification, FSMA and Food Defense in branded food products industry.
- Possesses deep knowledge in Regulatory affairs and compliance as it refers to labelling and claim substantiation.
- A driver of change who can lead and influence others within and outside of the organization.
- A communicator who has the ability to set the appropriate direction for food safety & quality program design and implementation that balances speed, agility and compliance.
- A strong project manager who delivers results under tight timelines.
- Technically curious with the ability to translate insights into action.
- A trainer, coach and mentor to internal colleagues.
What You'll Need:
- B.S. required in Food Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Microbiology or related science.
- 10-15 years combined experience in Corporate Food Safety or Quality Assurance, Plant Quality Assurance, and Plant Operations.
- Expert knowledge of HACCP, GFSI certification, FSMA and Food Defense in branded food products industry.
- Understanding of Regulatory environment, practices, and labelling.
- Comprehensive understanding of plant operations as it relates to food safety and quality with experience in plant quality and food safety management.
- Demonstrated hands on capabilities applying microbiological, thermal processing, sanitation methodology, HACCP and FSMA Preventative Control program management, and pest control expertise.
- Ability to travel 25-30%
What You'll Enjoy:
- Collaborative colleagues working together to deliver results
- Flexible work schedules including Summer and Winter Hours
- Robust health benefits, and paid time off programs
- Generous 401k plan with annual company match
- Discounts on Welch's products
Welch's is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Protected Veteran